Tuesday 23 September 2008

Turris fortissima est nomen Jehova "The name of Jehova is the strongest tower"


What's in a name? I've always been fascinated by the meaning behind names.

An educational psychologist friend commented that he had noticed how people seem to take on the persona expressed by their names. In my case he could be right. Paul means little and those who know me would endorse that I am vertically challenge. My second, is a family inheritance handed down from a previous generation, Alfred. Yes you've got it the one who burnt the cakes and this name has two meanings. The first is elf-like, adequately describing my love of humour and practical jokes, whilst the second, wise counsel, denotes continuing counselling ministry. Collings, a channel name, comes from an old french connection indicating a gentle nature indicative of a cooing dove.

Put all this together and you get the gentle little elf-like wise counsellor, a tough name to live up to.

As a Plymouth boy I have also taken for myself the motto of my home town. Turris fortissima est nomen Jehova "The name of Jehovah is the strongest tower" Whilst I often struggle to live up to my name, I have always found God to be my anchor point, my rock, regardless of the severity of the storm I face.

No comments: